Week 1 (once approved):
- Rhino Files
- Schedule Laser cutting time for prototyping
- have at least a cardboard prototype by 4/26
- Final iteration done
Artist Statement (200 word):
Laser cut game “box” with interchangeable boards and drawer to hold games and game pieces in. I think it would be a cool idea to harness my laser cutting skills to build a 3D usable object. The box would be taken for traveling, or just for a neatly stored gaming box for a living room, common area.
My inspiration for this project came from the millions of game board games you might have around your house and have a centralized place to play them on. Although this one only has around 6 faces for a plethora different games, you can expand it at your will with new boards. I wanted it to be expandable and not be limited, which many all-in-one boxes currently do. I built upon that idea into something that will be future proof (well as long as we use physical gaming boards and not switch completely over to something like an iPad) and be fun for a family setting or a get together with friends.
One downside I can see to this design is if I don’t figure out a way to secure the boards, some may get lost into the depths of someones house. In the future, I may add a hinge to the boards to fold out, but I would really have to brainstorm and think that idea through to maintain expandability. But everything is a Cost-Benefit Analysis, right? I ran into a few issues throughout this project, namely having my rhino files accurate enough through the prototyping phase, but with my two prototypes I was able to clear that up quickly.
Clear Acrylic .118 in.
Medium Density Fiberboard .216 in.
Access to Laser Cutter
What I learn from this prototype was that not a fan of using cardboard that is way too big. Also that finger joints are annoying to work with prototypes.
I learned that my dimensions were wayyyy off, so It gave me a chance to figure out that problem and fix it in a timely manner.
What I learned from this prototype is that the size is perfect, just the thickness of the material is not what I envisioned, so I switched it from 1/8th to 1/4th of an inch to give it a sturdier feel.
Conclusion and final thoughts:
I loved this project, it taught me fabrication in the ways of rhino, laser cutting, gluing, drilling, etc. It was a very enjoyable project. I really wish I had more time to clean up the edges and maybe stain the wood I was working with, but overall very decent!